Images from The Home of Two Artists Celebrating the Bicentenary of G.F.Watts
Moorcroft returns to take forward the story of the impact of George Frederic Watts, OM, RA (1817-1904), and his wife Mary Seton Watts (née Fraser Tytler, 1849-1938) on Compton, a small village in Surrey. Initially, the village acted as an autumn and winter retreat for the artist and the designer, but became the permanent base for their work and the home of the Watts Gallery, the Compton Pottery with its studios and workshops, and the extraordinary cemetery chapel. A nationally significant site, it includes a gallery that holds an internationally important collection, an Arts and Crafts chapel by Mary Watts, a great studio house named ‘Limnerslease’ designed by Sir Ernest George, and the Compton Pottery buildings.
Watts Gallery is undoubtedly a special place kept alive by a small community of enthusiasts. Their essential maintenance and conservation work would not be possible without the funding and donations they receive from the general public and the likes of the Arts Council England and the Heritage Lottery Fund.
Moorcroft are delighted to also contribute to their cause by allocating a proportion from each sale from The Compton Collection to the registered charity of Watts. (Charity No. 313612).